Council Minutes

Latest Council Minutes

BMPC Minutes May 2017

pdf Download

What's on next
Bilsdale Midcable Parish Council
Wed 3 Jan 2018
Featured Business

Stick & Stone

Timber Engineering
tel: 01642 322158

Wesleyan Chapel

The non conformist movement in Bilsdale developed in the early 19C.  At first people gathered together and met for worship in small groups, rather than in the Parish church.  A rift developed throughout the Methodist movement and in Bilsdale the Primitives and the Wesleyans worshipped separately.  John Garbut, of Clay House, a member of the Primitive Society, led the singing in the upper room above the Tiger Inn.  The Wesleyans, such as John Peacock the blacksmith, William Brotton, a stonemason and John Dale from the Green also met here.  They established a sunday school in the early 1850's.  The growth of the sunday school and Wesleyan membership made the building of a chapel essential.

A small plot of land behind the Tiger Inn was bought from Thomas Leng for 5/- a sq yard.  The Chapel was built by Nelson's of Swainby a cost of £250 and opened on 8th August 1858.  The chapel is described in Bulmers 1890 as "a chapel consisting of one room with pulpit and harmonium".  A new schoolroom and tower were added in 1933.

The last service was held in May 2013, and the chapel was sold to a private owner in 2017

More information about the Methodists and the Chapel

 

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict Valid CSS!

Site by Desktop Solutions